Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Journal Entry 10.9.2007

I find that it is hard for me to complain since I have it the easiest in the village. I have more possessions in my over stuffed luggage, plus all the stuff Peace Corps gives us and still all the things I will get sent to me from home, all of that together is worth so much and awes the people when they see it. Like my guitar or my radio or when "S" the PC driver dropped off all our gardening tools—three 5 gallon drums for water storage, a rake, a machete, a hand hoe and a watering can. Everyone’s eyes went wide. When was the last time they saw a machete, sharp and not rusted out?
We have decided that this must be the guilt process everyone goes through when they get here. It doesn’t seem like anyone is jealous or will harm us for our stuff. They are mostly curious and happy to just see it; or, like the guitar, to strum it aimlessly. Good thing it holds its tune.
We, the other trainees and I, talked about this guilt today. Paying someone $5 a month to do a load of laundry every week, each load taking a few hours in the hot sun. It’s a hard pill to swallow. But guilt is just guilt. At least that’s what we remind ourselves of until it goes away.
We are deep in the process of learning Pulaar (Fula)and we have become a familiar sight laying beneath the mango tree outside our teacher’s house, trying to decide whether to read or sleep. It’s so hot. October I guess is the hot, humid nasty month. At least we will get the worst first and then be able to enjoy the cooler months to follow.
We had a naming ceremony the other day. I am Momodon Bah. I am named after my smallest brother who everyone nicknamed Alige. My family is adorable. I haven’t spoken much about them but will soon when I have more time with them. So far, it’s eat, sleep, study, sleep, eat. Tomorrow I will fast, just to try it since this is Ramadan and Friday, my birthday is Koriteh, the giant feast marking the end of the holy month. We’ll see how I do without food or drink. It might make my birthday that much more special. Plus, walk a mile in another’s shoes, blah…blah…blah.




No comments: